Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ray:

Ray Bradbury died... And it's been a long time since I've been this depressed.



Kinda hard to take when an actual hero of yours passes.

I've only felt this way when three others went.

Walt Disney



Harry Chapin



And Charles Schulz...






I'd never met the other three, but my heart hurt, none the less.

Mr. Bradbury and I crossed paths in this city all the time. You can read about the best one here... http://www.hotvalleywriters.com/Hot_Valley_Writers/Driving_with_Ray.html

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever written a poem for a man... But Ray loved poetry. I'm not saying he would, or would not like this piece... But here it is... It's a first draft, so treat it like a work in progress...



Ray:

A gentle man of courage
Died today
The bravest I've personally known.
Fearless in thought, deed,
and word.

We knew each other briefly,
Crossing paths
Once or twice a year.
He always knew my face,
I could never forget his name.

He was my link to a grander time,
A gentler time.
He shook the hands
Of heroes I could only meet
In dreams
And flights of fancy.
Passed to me
Infinitesimally
Through words
And touch
And smiles.

As I drive through
The streets
Of the city he loved.
Purple Jacaranda blossoms
Falling like tears
From the trees
I know I will think of him
Every time I see them.
The man who built his wings
Before he ever left this Earth.

06/06/12

Rest in peace Mr. Bradbury - Know you touched the hearts of millions. 

Hey, he got me to write something new!


No comments:

Post a Comment